Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Apples and Oranges

I'm not a Mac user, so feel free to set me straight if you are, but I don't see the appeal of Apple computers. ipods are nice, but so many other mp3 players work as well. I have a dinky mp3 player that fulfills my music needs. I actually find myself not using it simply because I don't have the time. The ipod touch is pretty neat, since it's almost a portable computer in itself, and I believe it's based on the same concept as the iphone, but without the phone. So those little gadgets are fun and all, but to use one, you don't need an Apple computer; they are compatible with pcs.

Which brings me to the apple computer itself. I recently thought about the good points of a Mac in an attempt to dissuade myself of the idea that they aren't worth their cost. Apples have great software for visual artists. Which I understand includes web design, as well as photoshop and video editing software. However, I understand that software for pcs is not as inferior as it once was. Also, I have been informed that Macs are not susceptible to viruses. This struck a chord for me, since I have been the victim of malicious spyware embedded in emails that I was tricked into opening, not once, but twice. Both were on my work computer, and it was immensely frustrating to have to do without a computer for multiple days while my system was repaired. However, I have never had a virus problem with my home computer. Most viruses or other malware gets on computers through emails or malicious websites that one would be wise to avoid anyway. Getting back to my point, do Macs really not get viruses, spyware or malware?

So those are the positives about Macs. Not being a visual artist, the first positive doesn't strike me as all that compelling. The second one is more compelling, but with a little care, I can avoid viruses on my own, as I have done for more than ten years on my home computer without difficulty. The real drawback for me is the Mac's ridiculous cost. My most recent computer purchase was an eMachines desktop. I did not want the bottom of the line, and with eMachines, I was able to buy a good desktop with all the extras I wanted, for less than half the cost of an HP or other name brand computer. Even the top of the line pcs were only slightly more expensive than the mid-range Macs.

While at some point quality is worth the extra cost, I don't see enough quality to Macs to justify the significant increased expense of owning a Mac. Even with software upgrades, which were minimal, and virus protection, I still see the PC as a much smarter choice. I also see Apple as a sort of evil empire, fixated on world domination and eradication of all competitors. Yes, Windows is the same way, but less so recently, and Firefox and Linux are easier than ever to come by.

So, anyone out there love a Mac? If so, why? Wasn't it expensive? Also, does anyone ever call them Macintoshes any more?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dee...I don't even know what to say, but I had to say something...where are the cute pictures of your adorable family? The punny quotables? The darling deeds? What's with the fruit drama?!

Anonymous said...

I am a converted Mac user and a lot of the things you mention are true. Mac's get virus' now too (I got one about a month ago). The graphic/web stuff is nice, but the programs I use for that are available on the PC too. There are some multimedia ones (iMovie/iDVD) that are way better than PC options, so that is nice.

Mostly I like the interface, and how easy it is to use.

But I use Linux and PC's as well... I have about 5 computers I use on a regular basis...

So that is my mac review... probably not worth the money, but if work is paying... I'm so going to go with a Mac. Oh, and it can run all operating systems... PC's can only run virtual instances of other PC's and Linux.

Bonnie said...

So I have to put in my 2 cents, because I am a Mac user and lover and enjoy converting other people to the wonderful world of Mac. Macs run media better (which is very important in several industries, but for home use, not so much) and all Mac programs are written clean--instead of writing over glitches, they get rid of them, which is part of the reason they cost more, and why they run faster--start up, multiple open programs, etc. I was a PC fan for years till I had to use one for work for a couple of years and I would never go back! Jason likes it better too, so it's not just me. But if you use a PC at work, stick with a PC at home to keep from going crazy. So after my forever-long spiel, I'm with Jeff, it's easy to use--Macs rock!