Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Google Earth is getting better (or, Italian graffiti is long-lived)

That's me, in 2000, probably April or May of 2000, indicating that the Book of Mormon is for you.

I recently discovered that Google Earth has been expanding its global reach. To see something very interesting, copy the following address: 4 Via Magenta, Novara, Piedmont, Italy.
Enter that address into the search bar of google maps, then click street view and face west.

Or, try this link, zoom in close, then drag the little yellow man to see the street view at 4 Via Magenta, and look west. I was amazed.

If you're lazy, or can't quite get to the right spot, I'll just tell you that the graffiti is still there. I always wondered about that, but this is the only picture I could find that let me verify the status of any particular tag. I'll keep looking though.

Also, looking south down Via Magenta, you'll see the setting of this somewhat more dignified picture of me as a missionary.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That is cool!

Debbi said...

This is so cool. We love Google Earth.

randivon said...

I am amazed by technology... and sometimes a little scared... but mostly amazed. :-)

aaronthemad said...

You're not the one who painted that graffiti, are you? ;)

Dee said...

No, Aaron, I didn't paint the graffiti. I was just the opportunistic photographer that day. Coincidentally, I have no idea what the 23 on the shield is supposed to refer to. That's what's really for you, but good luck figuring it out.
As for the graffiti being in English, my theory is that it was some kid promoting his favorite techno song. I believe a popular one at the time repeated the words "This is something special for you."