Monday, May 4, 2009

Dietary concerns

Holly has been asking me whether certain foods are healthy, sometimes she asks whether something is good for you, and other times she asks whether something is good. She learned about smoking and coffee being bad for you in church a couple weeks ago.

So this morning, I was eating cereal with Holly and Mia, and Holly starts talking about hot dogs. She was trying to convince me they were good, and good for her. I always hesitate to say hot dogs are good for you, but I usually do, just to avoid the confusion, and so I don't eliminate one of the few meals she will eat.

Mia decided to be obstinate, however, and insisted hot dogs were bad for you, as well as bad. They argued for a minute, and I said, no, Mia, hot dogs are good. Holly said hot dogs are good, coffee is bad. Then she said, what about coffee in cereal? I told her that would be bad, too. So then she asked if hot dogs would be good in cereal. I can't remember the way she said it, but it made me think of pork and beans, and I pictured cutting up hot dogs to put in her cereal. I had to try hard not to laugh. I told her, no, that probably wouldn't taste very good. She said why? I almost laughed again at the hilarity of having to explain why hot dogs wouldn't taste good in cereal. But I just said that hot dogs taste better on buns, with ketchup. She accepted that answer.

Also, a random video, taken after we got back from the County Fair, I think.

5 comments:

randivon said...

Did your girls get hair cuts? They look so cute! And the story of the hot dog is classic. Thanks for sharing!

Debbi said...

I love conversations like this! It's fun to see the gears working trying to figure out all the rules of life.

Thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

What a hilarious story. And depending on what kind of cereal you paired it with, hot dogs on cereal might just work... It could be like fried chicken that you make with cornflakes. You could start a whole new trend. Maybe you should have your girls try it and let us know the results.

Dee said...

Holly cut Mia's hair not too long ago, and they both got trims then to fix it. I think dry cereal on hot dogs would be better than hot dogs in cereal. They already put pringles on tuna sandwiches.

Highland Hussy said...

Don't you love kid logic? Kaelyn was awesome enough to tell my in-laws that she didn't want the soda they gave her because daddy says it's bad for her. Too bad Liam didn't agree! (Unfortunately we weren't over there, or there would have been NO soda at all, but...) now I know why Liam didn't go to sleep til 10 that night! ugh