Monday, April 20, 2009

Bugs are attacking the play room!

Sunday mornings are fairly relaxing for me. After I get home from my 8:00 a.m. meeting, I have several hours before our church meetings start at 1:00 p.m. Yesterday, I was tired, so I took a nap. I was holding Jay, trying to calm him down, and I just couldn't stay awake, so I went to bed, on top of the covers.

When you take a nap with kids around, those kids are going to make staying asleep sort of difficult. Yesterday, I remember waking up to some noise probably about 5 times, then hearing, "shhh, we need to be quiet, Dad's taking a nap."

Well, one of the things that woke me up was Holly yelling, "Mom, Mom, bugs are attacking the play room!" I didn't think much of it. Holly talks about bugs and monsters all the time in a matter of fact way, and she seemed more excitied than upset, like when bugs come into the house (think craneflies, which really freak her out). Anyway, I went back to sleep. Then I woke up to the same thing again. Not long after, I got up, and found out a bunch of those tiny black flies (fungus gnats) were crawling all over the outside of the play room window, and some had crawled around the screen, which was loose, and some had even gotten to the inside of the window, since there's no weather stripping in that window. So, bugs really were attacking the playroom.

Kelsea got the bug spray and sprayed down the window both inside and out, mostly neutralizing the attack. But it got me thinking about how Holly used the word "attack." She's four and a half, isn't in school, and doesn't watch violent shows on tv. Sponge Bob might be violent sometimes, but nothing like Batman or anything involving fighting. I can't even think of any, cause she and Mia don't ever want to watch them. So anyway, she picked up the word "attack" somewhere. I'm not sure if it's good, but I'm really impressed with her vocabulary.

Also, the screen is no longer loose, so further bug attacks will hopefully remain outdoors.

3 comments:

Amy said...

That's a funny story. My calling is in Nursery and I am amazed at some of the things the 18-24 month old kids pick up. The other Sunday, one of the little kids started attacking another little kid totally out of the blue. I'm pretty sure I told him to stop attacking her and play nice. Maybe that word will lie dormant in his brain for a couple years and release at some random moment in the future. Crazy.

Kelsea said...

Speaking of things Sponge Bob teaches kids...This morning we were running late to get to story time at the library. (With three kids I am usually a little late getting every where) So I told Holly that we might be a little late. She was very understanding. She said "Oh! We are going to be a little bit late like Sponge Bob was a little late for work." Yep, just like that.

Kelsea said...

By the way it wasn't "a bunch" of gnats that had gotten inside. It was at least a hundred with another hundred crawling on the screen outside. After I killed lots and lots and lots then Dee woke up and finally went to look at the window. He only saw the "bunch" still alive. It was quite the attack!