Monday, November 17, 2008

Weekend Update

Ok, so anyone who has been paying attention to our housing situation knows that our house is a fixer-upper. This weekend, we decided to buy the major pieces to put our front bathroom together. I put down new linoleum and installed the new toilet last week, so technically it was usable, but there was no vanity, sink, or bathtub. So Friday night, Kelsea and I went to Lowe's to look at vanities, sinks, tubs, showers, and other things. We were lucky enough to find a new vanity on clearance for $165, which saved us $250 (or more) on the spot. Unfortunately, it had drawers in different places and wasn't as wide as the prior vanity, so I had to move pipes and patch in another piece of linoleum. Then I had to put up the drywall and start patching it. I'm not so good at extensive drywall work, mostly from lack of experience, but Kelsea had called her mom to help out. She spent about 3 hours sanding and re-applying joint compound on Saturday. It looks way better than I ever would have gotten it. I was pretty beat, but my father-in-law was kind of bummed to be just standing around, so we started on the tub. Unfortunately, we didn't get the right drain pipes, so we couldn't put it in, but we got close. I just have to find the right size pipes, or the right kit, then it will slide into place, and get hammered to the studs. As it stands right now, there is a vanity full of tools and a tub standing on its end in our bathroom. Hopefully by next Monday everything will be installed and operational.

No comments: