Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Business


Two weeks ago, I went to South Carolina for a deposition. The travel time was about 9 times longer than the deposition. Honestly. But I took advantage of the opportunity to see new places, and was able to wander around downtown Charleston for an hour or so and see the Atlantic Ocean. I don't want this to be a long post, but a picture or two makes it nicer, right?

The Charleston airport was tiny. I think there were ten gates total. My layovers in Charlotte, NC were kind of crazy, since that is a major hub, and lots of people were there for connecting flights. I did get to see a colonial church or two, one with a humorous sign in the graveyard. And by the way, since when have graveyards been the entire grounds of the church? Seriously, to walk into the catholic church in downtown Charleston, you have to walk past graves, headstones, even those above ground monuments that look like stone caskets. If it hadn't been a bright sunny day, it would have been really creepy. It was only slightly creepy.

Otherwise, I got to see two movies new to me. On the way, I saw Get Smart, and on the way home, I saw Cinderella Man. They both made the flight much more enjoyable. As an added bonus, they were even slightly edited for viewing by general audiences on the airplane. I probably wouldn't have ever seen Cinderella Man, because Kelsea wouldn't want to see it, but I liked it. Not very violent for a movie about a boxer, and much more emotional than I expected, as it is set in the Great Depression. Get Smart was about as good as I expected it to be: entertaining on a superficial level, slightly raunchy only once or twice, and Steve Carrell played Maxwell Smart pretty well. I got a lot more familiar with airplanes on my trip and will be happy to not fly again for a while. $2 for a water, and airport security is so annoying.

2 comments:

Debbi said...

Hey you were in our neck of the woods and we didn't even know it! I hope you enjoyed the stay!

Dee said...

Actually, I did let Jeff know. Also, I told Joey that I had a layover in Charlotte, and he pretended to get serious and said, "Oh, that's outer darkness." So maybe next time I'll be a little closer to Chapel Hill, and a little farther from Outer Darkness. If there ever is a next time.