Wednesday, September 17, 2008

House

Okay, no pictures again, and I know that's what the people want, so I apologize. Next time there will be pictures.

You may or may not know, but Kelsea and I bought a house a few months ago. It is an older house in an older neighborhood, which we preferred for the bigger lots and quieter streets. It is also a fixer-upper. Not only is it a normal fixer-upper, but it was a bank-owned house, so it had been empty for a while. I knew it was going to be a lot of work to make it nice, and I was ok with that. Kelsea was a little nervous about it. So, for the last few months, here are a few of the things I've gotten done:
put in a few new gas appliances (water heater, stove)
put in new dishwasher
painted pretty much every surface in the place, other than floors (yep, that means the ceilings, too)
remediated some mold in the front bathroom.
replaced a toilet.
replaced a few light fixtures
put in a swamp (evaporative) cooler
put down new linoleum in a bathroom and in the kitchen.

Kelsea also took up some of her own projects, just asking me for minimal help/advice:
painting the kitchen cabinets
redecorating and painting the master bathroom.
She also painted the playroom and the girls' bedroom.
It's looking very good.

I also worked on the sprinkler system, and planted a few flowers and such to make it look a bit more presentable as you walk up to the door. On Saturday, I fixed the last place the sprinklers were leaking, and last night, I set the watering clock.

I don't know why setting the watering clock felt like such an accomplishment, but it really did. So this morning, I went out and looked at all the places the plants had been watered. I don't know, but it made me feel good to see that the plants will now get watered regularly, even if I forget about them. Maybe I should plant some peas in the front....

PS: Someone tell me how to embed a hyperlink.

UPDATE: hyperlink above

4 comments:

randivon said...

CJ and I had to (and continue to) put a lot of work into our house when we moved in. I really did not want to buy this house because it just seemed like too much work (and because the previous owners were drug dealers and I did not think we could get the spirit back into the place). But, I have been so happy as projects get completed and the house becomes more and more like us. That is what I have loved about the fixer-upper... more of a chance to make it our own. Anywho, I think that the work you guys have done is awesome! I am excited to see your house when I am out there in a few weeks!
Oh... and I have no idea how to do a hyperlink in blogger. Sorry!
Oh... and sorry I am so long winded. :-)

Erin said...

Well, after hearing about all those improvements, we are going to have to see pictures.

Dee said...

I knew you would be demanding pictures, Erin, but I also know you can tell me how to embed a hyperlink in a post.
Plus, I already promised pictures in the next post.

Debbi said...

Man I didn't even know you guys had a blog until just last night. Now I'm trying to catch up and find out you are expecting and you bought a house!! Congratulations!!! Are you still in the Hazelcrest ward?? How's Kelsea feeling?? Well I don't want to get long winded like Randi... just kidding Randi... however, I look forward to keeping up with you guys!!