Friday, May 11, 2012

Not that paranoid.

After my last blog, Kelsea asked me if I really thought someone was poisoning our tree(s). I don't. But the thought did cross my mind. There are two reasons it crossed my mind. First: Another of our trees died because it didn't get enough water, but it didn't get enough water because someone closed the sprinkler. Repeatedly. After I replaced the tree, I replaced the sprinkler with one that was slightly broken, so that it couldn't be turned off completely. The new tree has done very well. The second reason I thought of poisoning was because of a couple of news stories of poisoning of trees. Someone poisoned a very old tree on the University of Alabama campus. I think they found out it was a rival school supporter. Also, I read about billboard companies poisoning trees to improve sightlines to their billboards. Neither of those situations remotely applies, which is why I didn't believe the trees had been poisoned. I was more suspicious of the first tree's death, because a big healthy tree there would have shaded my neighbor's pool for part of the day, and possibly dropped leaves in his yard. I don't think he's that petty or bitter, but it was a reason I found plausible, and that tree actually died.

The other tree isn't completely dead. I saw yesterday that there is some new growth coming up from the base of the trunk. Which means it wasn't being poisoned. Just drastically underwatered. But if the roots are healthy, the tree should grow up quickly again, and be a strong tree for me. Here's hoping.

No comments: